If you took a “how’s life?” survey from people you know, no doubt a leading theme could be summed up with overwhelmed. It may have slightly different names, like discouraged, down, stressed, anxious, worried, and maybe even depressed. This messy life in this fallen world has a way of rearing it’s big ugly boot and kicking you in the, er… teeth, doesn’t it?
I totally get it, having felt every one of those emotions I just listed just in the last 90 days. You and I don’t have to take that, though. And at the risk of sounding predictable, or even flippant, the best remedy for feeling overwhelmed is God’s word. I know you’ve heard that a hundred times and a thousand different ways, but hear me out.
Want to take these verses with you?
You Don’t Have to Take That!
Recently, I’ve had some symptoms that my doctor thought he knew what it was, but had me schedule a procedure to double check because, of course, it could be something worse. Ok, in the time between that visit to the doc and the day of the procedure, about 10 days, I felt every one of those emotions. Overwhelmed, anxious, worried, depressed, and toss a dose of fear in there, too.Next time you need to be encouraged, these high powered Bible verses will certainly help.Click To Tweet
But here’s the key: I didn’t sit there and take that junk. Not like I used to. I didn’t remain in that mess, but I needed to keep my eyes on the Lord to stay above it. How do you do that? God’s word is full of encouraging Bible verses for the overwhelmed, and more. And turning to the Bible is not a simple Sunday School answer to life’s messy, difficult, and overwhelming problems. It’s much more than that, it’s the remedy.
Join the Simple Theology, Messy Life Circle and you’ll get them… plus download the Armor of God Bible study now.
“I always enjoy Gene’s posts. They are scriptural and well thought out.”
So don’t take the junk and the muck and the mess of life’s teeth-kicking crap lying down. Arm yourself with the verses that will play over and over in your heart and mind, and then shoot them like the deadly arrows that they are when junk happens.
You may already have some encouraging Bible verses you run to when overwhelmed. Memorize them, hold on to them, and accept God at His good word. And in case you need some more ammo, I’ve lined up 21 encouraging Bible verses to equip you when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
The first 2 are a few of my personal favorites and the last one is my nuclear option.
Here are some of my book and music recommendations for encouragement.
Price: $10.87Was: $15.99
Price: $15.58Was: $22.99
Price: $2.81Was: $2.99
Price: $13.81Was: $16.99
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: Check on Amazon
21 Powerful Bible Verses for the Overwhelmed
1. Isaiah 26:3–4 – You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.
2. Psalm 18:1–2 – I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
3. John 14:1 – Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.
4. Psalm 28:7 – The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.
5. Psalm 91:1–2 – He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
6. Matthew 6:34 – Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
7. Isaiah 41:10 – Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
8. Matthew 11:28–30 – Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
9. Psalm 27:1 – The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
10. Psalm 61:1–2 – Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
11. Isaiah 40:31- But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
12. Matthew 28:20 – And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
13. Psalm 121:1–2 – I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
14. Deuteronomy 31:8 – It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.
15. 1 Peter 5:6–7 – Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
16. Proverbs 18:10 – The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.
17. Psalm 94:19 – When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.
18. Exodus 33:14 – And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
19. Micah 7:7–8 – But as for me, I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD will be a light to me.
20. John 15:5 – I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
21. Habakkuk 3:17–19 Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer’s; he makes me tread on my high places.